A massive fire broke out at Hotel Arpit Palace in Delhi’s Karol Bagh area early on Tuesday morning, leaving 17 people dead. Fire officials said a call about the fire was received at 4.35 am and 24 fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
The officials were able to rescue some stranded guests in the hotel. Officials said the fire started due to a short circuit. Thick smoke and huge flames could be seen emanating from the 40-room hotel till around 7 am.
Twenty-six fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot. Three people have sustained severe burn injuries. Nearly 35 people have been rescued. The dead bodies have been taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital. Some injured were also taken to Sir Ganga ram Hospital and Lady Hardings Hospital.
Fire officials said two people jumped off the building to escape the flames. The recuse operation was called off around 9:50 am and cooling process was started. Deputy Chief Fire Officer Sunil Choudhary told news agency ANI, “The fire has been doused. We have to look for bodies, if any, inside the hotel. Those injured have been sent to hospital. Two hotel staff members had jumped from the fourth floor of the hotel in an attempt to save themselves. The status of the staff who jumped is yet to be known.”
A fire broke out at a six-storey warehouse of footwear brand Paragon in Kochi near Ernakulam South Railway Station on Wednesday. Four fire and rescue units have reached the spot and are trying to bring the fire under control.
The fire was first reported from the fourth floor of the building that has a showroom and godown. Short circuit is suspected to be the reason behind the fire. Authorities have asked residents of the nearby apartments and buildings to evacuate immediately.
Rice mill owner V Lakshmi Umarani and her husband Veeranjaneya Prasad said that rice bags worth Rs 5 lakh was reduced to ashes in the fire mishap.
GUNTUR: Fire broke out due to short circuit at a rice mill in Penumooli village of Guntur district in the early hours of Monday. On noticing the fire, locals tried to douse the flames, but their efforts went in vain. On receipt of information, fire officials from Tenali rushed to the spot and controlled the flames at Lakshminarayana Rice Mill.
Speaking to the media, rice mill owner V Lakshmi Umarani and her husband Veeranjaneya Prasad said that rice bags worth Rs 5 lakh was reduced to ashes in the fire mishap. Fire department officer Y Venkateswara Rao said the fire broke out due to electric short circuit and no was injured. The firefighters took three hours to put out the fire.
A fire broke out at a high-end fashion store on the ground floor of Hotel Trident in Mumbai’s Marine Drive on Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 11.02 pm and has been doused fire officials said. No injuries have been reported.
According to Shivshankar Prasad, one of the valets of the hotel, the taxi drivers near the luxury hotel first alerted them about the blaze. “We had no idea until we came out to see. Then, we immediately alerted the fire brigade,” he said. The fire was doused with the help of five fire engines in around half an hour. However, cooling operations were on late on Wednesday night.
“The fire was mostly caused by a short circuit as all the electrical units are burnt. However, we will know more once we investigate,” said fire officer Prakash Nalawade. At the time of filing this report, the firemen were breaking open the glass of the showroom.
“The fire has been doused but the cooling process is on. We need to create ventilation space for the smoke to escape and are breaking the glass. No casualty is reported,” Nalawade said.
The incident comes two days after a fire at a suburban hospital in Mumbai led to the death of nine people, including a six-month-old child. About 170 people were injured in the blaze that broke out at government-run Employee State Insurance (ESIC) hospital at the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) premises in Mumbai’s Andheri East.
Nearly 70 to 80 per cent of the fires in the city happened due to faulty electrical connections, as found by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Keeping the data in mind, the civic body has served notices to gas agencies and electrical supply companies. According to the data, over 35,000 calls, out of over 55,000, made to the fire department in the past 10 years were related to short circuits.
Under Section 30 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, the civic body has directed the companies to take preventive and mitigative measures to curb the rising number of short-circuit incidents in the city, along with asking them to periodically inspect electrical installations.
“The Director, Industrial Safety and Health (DISH), is the controlling and monitoring authority of the distribution of gas in Mumbai. Since there have been repeated incidences of fire due to gas leakage and cylinder blasts, leading to disastrous impact on human lives, it is necessary to take precaution at the earliest,” read the notice.
Under Section 30 of India’s Disaster Management Act, authorities have to keep tabs on vulnerable places and take preventive measures. In December 2018, a fire in 15-storey Sargam Society in Tilak Nagar killed five. Investigation said the cause was a “defective electrical circuit”. Sparks from lighting on a Christmas tree came in contact with an LPG cylinder, said the report. Over 35,000 complaints are related to short circuits. Cases of loose and unstructured wiring, tapping electricity through cross-connections is high… that needs to be inspected regularly, for which we have written to power suppliers,” said IA Kundan, additional municipal commissioner.
A fire broke out on the 14th floor of a high-rise building in Nerul on Thursday night. The fire was controlled within two hours and no casualties were reported, fire officials confirmed.
According to Navi Mumbai fire control room, the fire was reported by residents of the Meridian building in Nerul sector 6. “The fire was reportedly in a flat that was closed and didn’t have any occupants,” said a fire officer from the Vashi station who was at the spot. “We got the call at around 10.53 pm and we sent out four water tankers, two from the Airoli station and two from the Vashi station, immediately,” he said.
The fire was brought under control by midnight and cooling process was continuing, sources said. “We have started investigation. The flat on the 14th floor of the highrise had been rented out but was unoccupied at the time of the incident. It is possible that the fire was caused by a short circuit, but we will know better after investigation,” said an officer from the Nerul police station.
A fire broke out in the building of a plastic factory in Mumbai’s Kandivali. The incident happened on today (January 11) afternoon.
Five fire tenders were present at the spot to control the flames.
According to the reports, the fire caused due to a short-circuit. No reports of causalities have been known so far.
However, more details, in connection with the incident, are awaited.