The cables to trust…

Vadodara: A major fire broke out at the city office of a multinational company involved in market research and consumer data study on Sunday afternoon. Fire department had to declare a ‘major call’ to douse the fire which engulfed second and third floors of the building near VUDA circle. According to officials of the MNC – Numerator, a minor short-circuit in the server room could have sparked the fire. The two floors were currently not operational and nobody was present there and the fire spread quickly. Fire officials said the first response team could see flames and smoke bellowing out of windows and thus a ‘major call’ was announced. Fire department sources said both floors were covered with thick smoke due to which firemen had to break glass windows and install exhaust machines to remove it. “Air-conditioner ducts, wirings and false ceiling panels were engulfed in flames. As these structures got burned, they started collapsing as well and so we had to be careful,” said a fire official. “The building’s structure was damaged to a large extent due to heat so we continued with the cooling process for some time,” fire officer Manish Mod said.


Company’s officials said operations are currently on only on ground floor. “Since it was Sunday, not many people were present on ground floor as well and there were no casualties,” company’s human resources director Suchit Patel said. On learning about the fire, municipal commissioner Nalin Upadhyay reached the spot. “Our priority was to ensure that there were no casualties and as it was a Sunday, very few people were present in the building,” he said. Although the company officials claim that a short-circuit could have ignited the fire, fire department will be taking help of forensic experts to ascertain the exact reason for the blaze. The company had shifted to the building in November last year and was planning to extend its operations on upper floors in the coming months.

A level-3 fire broke out in a residential-cum-commercial building at Kamathipura area in Nagpada on Monday morning. According to a report in the Times of India, four fire engines, three jumbo tankers and an ambulance have been rushed to the spot. The incident was reported at 9:16 am in the morning.

The fire was confined to electric wiring, electric installation, household articles, leather godown on the first floor of the ground plus one building. Eight people were injured in the incident and were rushed to Nair Hospital. The injured have been identified as Chandani Shaikh (25), Nisha Devi (32), Chandadevi

A short-circuit at Vadodara railway station caused a panic among onlookers and commuters on Saturday noon. The short circuit occurred in a low tension control panel located between platform number two and three at around 11:44am at
the railway station.

Initially, there were sparks and smoke started emitting out of the control panel causing panic amongst those present at the spot. At one point, the sounds and the smoke that was emitted out of the panel resembled that of the fire crackers. According to officials, the electric short circuit might have occurred due to rainwater which might have seeped into the power board. The short circuit affected electric supply to all stalls on the platform.

“All other power supply at platform is working normally. The restoration work is in progress and it will be completed soon,” said Khemraj Meena, public relations officer of Vadodara railway division, adding that nobody got injured due to the incident. “The fire was immediately brought under control using fire fighting equipments by the staff present at the spot,” he said.

Delhi Fire Service (DFS) director Atul Garg said, “The fire started from the ground floor kitchen, which is above the stilt parking. The house on the ground floor was locked and there was no one inside.”

shalimar-bagh-fire.jpgThree women died after a fire broke out in a four-storey building in North West Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh Saturday evening. In the incident, which took place around 6 pm, four people, including two teenagers, were injured.

Delhi Fire Service (DFS) director Atul Garg said, “The fire started from the ground floor kitchen, which is above the stilt parking. The house on the ground floor was locked and there was no one inside. The house is gutted, and the exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.”

While a DFS official said it is likely that someone left the cooking gas on in the ground floor kitchen, DCP (Outer North) Gaurav Sharma said “it could be a short circuit, but it’s yet to be confirmed.”

DFS received a call at 6.05 pm about the fire, following which eight fire tenders and 50 firefighters were deployed to douse the fire. The victims have been identified as Kanta (75), Kiran Sharma (65) and Somvati (42). The injured are Lajwanti (68), Inna (28), Akshit (16) and Vanshika (14).

Police said the three women died after inhaling the smoke. A Fortis hospital spokesperson said, “The four injured people are in the ICU and are in a critical state. Efforts are on to stabilise them.”

Sharma said, “Around 6.10 pm, information about the fire was received and police officers rushed to the spot. Personnel from other police stations, too, reached the spot and SHO Shalimar Bagh, along with other personnel, accessed the building by jumping onto the terrace from an adjacent building.”

A senior police officer said that fire tenders reached the spot within minutes, and that at least seven people were removed from the building. “The 75-year-old victim lived alone on the first floor. The third-floor occupants— Lajwanti and two children — hid in the bathroom and kept splashing water on themselves and survived the fire. Two women from the top floor who were pulled out didn’t survive. All victims died because of the smoke.”

Police said an FIR under IPC sections 285 (negligent conduct with respect to fire) and 304A (causing death by negligence) will be registered against unknown persons at Shalimar Bagh police station. Two police personnel were also injured during the rescue operation, which took around two hours.

Firefighters were stymied by narrow alleys near where the blaze erupted, in a building used for making paper products and purses.

NEW DELHI — At least 43 people were killed Sunday morning when one of the worst fires in recent memory in New Delhi broke out in a cramped, commercial neighborhood, officials said.

The blaze erupted around 5:30 a.m. in a multistory building used for making paper products and purses. Atul Garg, New Delhi’s chief fire officer, said firefighters initially struggled to douse the flames because narrow lanes blocked access to the area, which is full of dilapidated buildings.


“This is the second-biggest fire in Delhi’s history,” he said.

The building in the Anaj Mandi neighborhood of northeastern New Delhi was packed with sleeping laborers when the fire broke out. Most of the victims were Muslim migrant workers from impoverished Bihar State in eastern India, The Associated Press reported. They earned as little as 150 rupees (about $2.10) per day making handbags, caps and other garments, it said.

Investigators blamed an electrical short-circuit for the fire, The A.P. reported. Safety standards are poorly enforced in India and are linked to many deaths.

Kishore Kumar, an official at Lok Nayak Hospital, where victims were taken, said most of the dead appeared to have suffocated as they slept. He said at least 20 other people were being treated for injuries.

“Their only fault was they were poor,” a man named Babar Ali, 32, told the AP. “Why else would someone work and sleep in such a congested place?” Mr. Ali, who used to work in the same building, called the workers’ difficult lives “a bigger tragedy than their death.”

In Anaj Mandi, residents climbed to the roofs of their buildings to watch the tragedy unfold as rescuers struggled to evacuate the injured. It took firefighters nearly an hour to control the fire because only one vehicle could reach the building.

Inside, rescuers found at least 50 people unconscious. When they broke gates obstructing access to the top floor, they discovered more workers sleeping.

VISAKHAPATNAM: A fire broke out at Dutt Island— a post residential cum commercial complex located at the heart of the city at around 6 pm on Thursday. According to initial reports, the fire broke out from a display board of a gymnasium located on the first floor of the five-storied building.

The building houses a wine store in the first two floors, a couple of cafetarias, a departmental store, a gym and a few offices in the first two floors. The rest of the three floors are residential.


People rushed out triggering panic at the Siripuram crossing once the fire broke out. The main switch of the building was turned off subsequently and all the floors were evacuated.

“Prima facie, it seems that the fire originated from a short circuit. A fire tender was pressed into service, but the fire was brought under control before the fire tender arrived,” said a security official of the building.Police confirmed that there were no injuries or casualties in the incident.

An elderly couple died when a century-old church and an adjacent house in Meghalaya’s capital were gutted in a devastating fire early on Sunday, police said.


An elderly couple died when a century-old church and an adjacent house in Meghalaya’s capital were gutted in a devastating fire early on Sunday, police said.

The couple, residing in the house, could have died of asphyxiation and a preliminary investigation has ruled out vandalism, police said.

East Khasi Hills district SP Claudia Lyngwa said the incident was reported at around 4 am and three fire tenders
were pressed into service to douse the blaze.

An investigation has been initiated to ascertain the exact cause of fire, Lyngwa said.

The 117-year-old church at Qualapatty area was reduced to ashes and the fire could be due to an electrical short-circuit as the church was undergoing large-scale repair work, the eyewitnesses said.

The church is located in the middle of a very densely populated area and is surrounded by many houses, the district police chief said, adding that the fire brigade officials faced difficulties to reach the spot as the road leading to the church is very narrow.

“As of now, investigation is on. We are collecting all the details. As the church is very secured, there is little chance of vandalism,” Lyngwa said.

According to the SP, the couple could have died when they went inside their house to collect some valuables and inhaled smoke from the razing fire.

“Meghalaya woke up to the tragic news of the Church of God, Qualapatty being gutted in fire that also claimed lives this morning. The indigenous church is one of the oldest in the state. My prayers for the deceased and the Church of God family,” Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma wrote on his twitter handle.

Six pups were charred to death and two cows, a calf and a buffalo sustained burns in a cattle shed fire last night at Ruherianwali village on the Abohar-Fazilka road.

Sahi Ram told the police that when he came to know about the fire, he tried to move the cattle out, but four head of cattle sustained injuries and six pups were burnt alive.


The police said Sahi Ram’s statement had been recorded and investigations were on.

In another incident at Sadulshehar, Ward no.11 residents prevented a tragedy when they noticed an electronic wall clock burning in the lobby of a house and informed the fire brigade. Davinder Bajaj, the house owner, was not at home at the time of the incident. Fire station staff immediately intervened and doused the fire, which reportedly broke out due to a short circuit.

Panic gripped busy Mangalabag area here after a fire broke out in a surgical and medical equipment store on Saturday. Fire_APCUTTACK: Panic gripped busy Mangalabag area here after a fire broke out in a surgical and medical equipment store on Saturday.

As per reports, some employees first noticed smoke emanating from godown-cum-shop of Sri Gopal Surgical and Medical Store on the first floor of a building located along the road at 12.20 pm and informed proprietor Sabyasachi Sahu who then called fire personnel.

With thick plumes of smoke engulfing the entire floor and fire spreading rapidly, people ran from the spot covering their faces. Three fire tenders from SCB Medical, Buxi Bazaar and Chauliaganj rushed to the spot to douse the fire. It took more than two hours for about 20 firefighters to bring the blaze under control.

Though the exact source of the fire is yet to be ascertained, electrical short circuit is suspected. No fire safety measures were put in place at the godown-cum-shop even though it houses cotton and chemicals along with medical accessories and equipment, said fire officials.

However, there was no damage to Andhra Bank branch and other pathological laboratories located near the building, said Chief Fire Officer Sukant Sethi.

A fire broke out on a 13th floor office in the Sales Tax building at ITO on Thursday morning, a Delhi Fire Service official said.


Chief Fire Officer Atul Garg said the fire started in office equipment and was brought under control within 10 minutes. No injury was reported.

The fire department said a call about the fire was received at 8.20 am after which five fire tenders were rushed to the spot.