The cables to trust…

Rice mill owner V Lakshmi Umarani and her husband Veeranjaneya Prasad said that rice bags worth Rs 5 lakh was reduced to ashes in the fire mishap.

fire_photoGUNTUR: Fire broke out due to short circuit at a rice mill in Penumooli village of Guntur district in the early hours of Monday. On noticing the fire, locals tried to douse the flames, but their efforts went in vain. On receipt of information, fire officials from Tenali rushed to the spot and controlled the flames at Lakshminarayana Rice Mill.

Speaking to the media, rice mill owner V Lakshmi Umarani and her husband Veeranjaneya Prasad said that rice bags worth Rs 5 lakh was reduced to ashes in the fire mishap. Fire department officer Y Venkateswara Rao said the fire broke out due to electric short circuit and no was injured. The firefighters took three hours to put out the fire.

Advertisements

“The fire was mostly caused by a short circuit as all the electrical units are burnt. However, we will know more once we investigate,” said fire officer Prakash Nalawade.

trident-hotel-fire.jpg

A fire broke out at a high-end fashion store on the ground floor of Hotel Trident in Mumbai’s Marine Drive on Wednesday night. The fire was reported around 11.02 pm and has been doused fire officials said. No injuries have been reported.

According to Shivshankar Prasad, one of the valets of the hotel, the taxi drivers near the luxury hotel first alerted them about the blaze. “We had no idea until we came out to see. Then, we immediately alerted the fire brigade,” he said. The fire was doused with the help of five fire engines in around half an hour. However, cooling operations were on late on Wednesday night.

“The fire was mostly caused by a short circuit as all the electrical units are burnt. However, we will know more once we investigate,” said fire officer Prakash Nalawade. At the time of filing this report, the firemen were breaking open the glass of the showroom.

“The fire has been doused but the cooling process is on. We need to create ventilation space for the smoke to escape and are breaking the glass. No casualty is reported,” Nalawade said.

The incident comes two days after a fire at a suburban hospital in Mumbai led to the death of nine people, including a six-month-old child. About 170 people were injured in the blaze that broke out at government-run Employee State Insurance (ESIC) hospital at the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) premises in Mumbai’s Andheri East.

According to the data, over 35,000 calls, out of over 55,000, made to the fire department in the past 10 years were related to short circuits.

mumbaifire1

Nearly 70 to 80 per cent of the fires in the city happened due to faulty electrical connections, as found by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). Keeping the data in mind, the civic body has served notices to gas agencies and electrical supply companies. According to the data, over 35,000 calls, out of over 55,000, made to the fire department in the past 10 years were related to short circuits.

Under Section 30 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005, the civic body has directed the companies to take preventive and mitigative measures to curb the rising number of short-circuit incidents in the city, along with asking them to periodically inspect electrical installations.

“The Director, Industrial Safety and Health (DISH), is the controlling and monitoring authority of the distribution of gas in Mumbai. Since there have been repeated incidences of fire due to gas leakage and cylinder blasts, leading to disastrous impact on human lives, it is necessary to take precaution at the earliest,” read the notice.

Under Section 30 of India’s Disaster Management Act, authorities have to keep tabs on vulnerable places and take preventive measures. In December 2018, a fire in 15-storey Sargam Society in Tilak Nagar killed five. Investigation said the cause was a “defective electrical circuit”. Sparks from lighting on a Christmas tree came in contact with an LPG cylinder, said the report. Over 35,000 complaints are related to short circuits. Cases of loose and unstructured wiring, tapping electricity through cross-connections is high… that needs to be inspected regularly, for which we have written to power suppliers,” said IA Kundan, additional municipal commissioner.

A fire broke out on the 14th floor of a high-rise building in Nerul on Thursday night. The fire was controlled within two hours and no casualties were reported, fire officials confirmed.

According to Navi Mumbai fire control room, the fire was reported by residents of the Meridian building in Nerul sector 6. “The fire was reportedly in a flat that was closed and didn’t have any occupants,” said a fire officer from the Vashi station who was at the spot. “We got the call at around 10.53 pm and we sent out four water tankers, two from the Airoli station and two from the Vashi station, immediately,” he said.

whatsapp-image-2019-01-11-at-1.54.36-am

The fire was brought under control by midnight and cooling process was continuing, sources said. “We have started investigation. The flat on the 14th floor of the highrise had been rented out but was unoccupied at the time of the incident. It is possible that the fire was caused by a short circuit, but we will know better after investigation,” said an officer from the Nerul police station.

A fire broke out in the building of a plastic factory in Mumbai’s Kandivali. The incident happened on today (January 11) afternoon.

Five fire tenders were present at the spot to control the flames.

fire-434x325

According to the reports, the fire caused due to a short-circuit. No reports of causalities have been known so far.

However, more details, in connection with the incident, are awaited.

A fire broke out inside a chemical company in Badlapur MIDC on Friday morning. Late in the evening, operations to control the fire were still underway, sources said. No casualties have been reported, police said. According to sources, the fire was reported at Platinum polymer company in Badlapur MIDC area.

badlapur-fire11_201901178982

“We received a call around 11 am. By the time we reached, two fire tenders from the MIDC fire control unit were already at the spot. However, the fire had spread and several blasts could be heard from inside the factory,” said a fire officer from the Badlapur fire brigade. The factory had a weekly off on Friday and so, no worker was trapped inside, fire officials said. “We are yet to ascertain what caused the fire. The inflammable solutions and materials have made it impossible for us to enter, as we can still hear blasts inside. More than 40 fire tenders have been pressed into service,” the fire officer said. Fire tenders from Ulhasnagar, Ambernath and Thane have been operational to douse the fire, sources said.

“The polymer company used to make packaging materials. We have contacted the owner. The damage seems to be more than Rs 1 crore, as there is no chance of any equipment being unaffected,” said a fire official from the Thane fire brigade.

KOLKATA: A fire broke out at a footwear shop in Khidderpore in the city on Friday evening but there was no casualty. Fire brigade sources said two fire tenders put out the blaze in about 30 minutes.

The fire broke out at around 7.20 pm. Fire brigade personnel cordoned off the site and prevented the blaze from spreading to nearby shops in the congested locality in south-western parts of the city.

The fire was suspected to have been caused by a short circuit.