Jaipur: A major fire gutted a tent house warehouse located in a residential colony in Jhotwara on Thursday afternoon. Thick plume of black smoke engulfed the nearby houses in Naryan Nagar, triggering a panic amongst local residents. The blaze continued to rage till late Thursday evening despite over 18 fire tenders pressed into the service.
The officials informed TOI that the warehouse belonged to a tent house shop nearby, the locals had complained about fire hazard located near a school several times but in vain. The fire department claimed that a short-circuit in a nearby electric police had triggered the fire. “The strong winds aggravate the fire and quickly devoured the entire complex. We are checking if the warehouse had all the permissions,” said an official. A team led by fire officer Jagdish Fulwari tried to douse the towering flames, but the raging flames could not be controlled.
The thick black smoke emanating from the burning debris further worsened the situation. Till late evening, the roaring blaze had exhausted most of the fire tenders, the control room deployed additional vehicles too. “The warehouse had lot of sheets, table clothes, and wood that escalated the firestorm,” said the official. The fire department told TOI that the warehouse did not have adequate fire safety equipment. “A major tragedy was averted because there is a school located nearby the warehouse, it could have easily spread through the school. But because the fire broke out only in later afternoon, the kids had gone home,” added another official.
The fire was visible from the distance, triggering widespread panic in Jhotwara locality. “We had cut off the power supply to the area. There were lot of dangling electric wires which could have led to the major problem. The main challenge was to ensure that flames could not spread to nearby apartment and other buildings,’ the officials said. The residents of nearby houses left their houses fearing that flames may spread.