Meerut: Short circuit is suspected to be behind the massive fire that engulfed a sportswear factory in Surajkund, Meerut on Thursday morning. Cops said the factory was being run without authorization on the second floor of a building. “We were alerted about the fire at 9am. Tenders were soon pressed into action and a team was sent to the spot. The sportswear factory on the second floor of the building was being run in an unauthorised manner, as the ground floor was residential,” said Sanjeev Kumar, fire station officer.
The factory, Mohineesh International, was registered in the name of one Mohineesh Raghav. “The owners are residents of Jagriti Vihar. At the time when the fire broke out, there was nobody inside. Hence there are no casualties. The fire was doused
by one fire tender in just an hour,” said Kumar. Losses worth lakhs were reported, and an inquiry has been set up to probe how the factory was allowed to run unauthorised.