The cables to trust…

Archive for September, 2019

Vadodara: Panic spreads as fire breaks out in paediatric department of SSG Hospital

VADODARA: State-run SSG Hospital, the biggest government hospital in central Gujarat, witnessed scenes of chaos even as the panic spread at the hospital premises after fire broke out in ward 17. The paediatric department is where new-borns and infants undergoing treatment are kept.
Sources said that prima facie it seemed that a short-circuit in an airconditioner sparked fire due to which rooms on the second floor of the building were filled with smoke. As the smoke started spreading, the security guards and others broke the windows of the rooms, yet there was no respite.

SSG-HOSPITAL-FIRE-SANDESH
Meanwhile, scenes of relatives and parents of the kids holding their babies in their arms and rushing them out of the building along with saline bottles were also witnessed as the smoke kept bellowing out. The hospital officials however said that all kids are safe as they have been evacuated. “It was a major fire, but we have evacuated all patients and switched off power supply of the building and the oxygen supply also had to be turned off,” said Dr.Sheila Aiyer of paediatric department. She added that although the fire had started from ward 17, they had to shift all patients and relocate them to other wards of the hospital. “The kids including new-borns were shifted to Rukmani Chainani and emergency wards and were stabilized,” she said. The hospital authorities will also move the patients to GMERS Medical College and Hospital at Gotri as well.

Tent house godown gutted in residential colony

Jaipur: A major fire gutted a tent house warehouse located in a residential colony in Jhotwara on Thursday afternoon. Thick plume of black smoke engulfed the nearby houses in Naryan Nagar, triggering a panic amongst local residents. The blaze continued to rage till late Thursday evening despite over 18 fire tenders pressed into the service.
The officials informed TOI that the warehouse belonged to a tent house shop nearby, the locals had complained about fire hazard located near a school several times but in vain. The fire department claimed that a short-circuit in a nearby electric police had triggered the fire. “The strong winds aggravate the fire and quickly devoured the entire complex. We are checking if the warehouse had all the permissions,” said an official. A team led by fire officer Jagdish Fulwari tried to douse the towering flames, but the raging flames could not be controlled.

QuestionMark_SilverRedFire
The thick black smoke emanating from the burning debris further worsened the situation. Till late evening, the roaring blaze had exhausted most of the fire tenders, the control room deployed additional vehicles too. “The warehouse had lot of sheets, table clothes, and wood that escalated the firestorm,” said the official. The fire department told TOI that the warehouse did not have adequate fire safety equipment. “A major tragedy was averted because there is a school located nearby the warehouse, it could have easily spread through the school. But because the fire broke out only in later afternoon, the kids had gone home,” added another official.
The fire was visible from the distance, triggering widespread panic in Jhotwara locality. “We had cut off the power supply to the area. There were lot of dangling electric wires which could have led to the major problem. The main challenge was to ensure that flames could not spread to nearby apartment and other buildings,’ the officials said. The residents of nearby houses left their houses fearing that flames may spread.

Massive fire engulfs sportswear factory

Meerut: Short circuit is suspected to be behind the massive fire that engulfed a sportswear factory in Surajkund, Meerut on Thursday morning. Cops said the factory was being run without authorization on the second floor of a building. “We were alerted about the fire at 9am. Tenders were soon pressed into action and a team was sent to the spot. The sportswear factory on the second floor of the building was being run in an unauthorised manner, as the ground floor was residential,” said Sanjeev Kumar, fire station officer.

fire_ppttii_0

The factory, Mohineesh International, was registered in the name of one Mohineesh Raghav. “The owners are residents of Jagriti Vihar. At the time when the fire broke out, there was nobody inside. Hence there are no casualties. The fire was doused
by one fire tender in just an hour,” said Kumar. Losses worth lakhs were reported, and an inquiry has been set up to probe how the factory was allowed to run unauthorised.