The cables to trust…

CHANDIGARH: A major fire broke out in the Sector 53 furniture market on Tuesday night, destroying around 30 shops. The fire and emergency wing of the municipal corporation received the call at 10.05 pm. Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot. One fire tender from Mohali fire services was also pressed into service.

A short-circuit was suspected to be the reason. Police blocked the entry on the road dividing Sectors 53 and 54, putting up barricades on the Sector 42 roundabout to Mohali. The presence of highly inflammable material like varnish, thinner and foam, stored inside shops made the job of firefighters difficult.Violations galore in Sec 53 furniture market There are a number of fire safety violations in the market.

67052971

There was no passage for movement of fire tenders behind the shops. Besides, a majority of shopkeepers has not kept fire extinguishers. Meanwhile, officials of the fire and emergency services said there is a legal problem in issuing notice to traders for fire safety violations as the market is illegal. Till the filing of the report, firefighters were trying to control the blaze. It was ninth fire incident in the market in last 12 years.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: