The cables to trust…

Archive for December, 2018

Five dead, two injured in Mumbai high-rise fire (27.12.18)

The fire, declared level three, broke out on the 14th floor of Sargam Society in Chembur. Prima facie fire brigade officials are suspecting short circuit as the cause of the fire.

ChemburFire01At least five people died after a fire broke out in a 16-storey residential building in suburban Mumbai’s Tilak Nagar area Thursday evening. Two others, including a fireman, were also injured in the fire that started at the 14th floor of Sargam Society (G+16) at building number 35, B Wing, in Chembur, near Ganesh Garden, at 7.50 pm Thursday. The fire has been doused, and cooling down operation is underway.

According to the disaster management cell, the fire was reported on the 10th floor of the 16-storey building and later spread to other floors. Prima facie fire brigade officials are suspecting short circuit as the cause of the fire. Officials said initially, the fire was minor but later it escalated to a Level 3 (major) fire as it spread.

The fire brigade sent six fire engines and six water tankers to the spot. Local corporator Shusham Sawant said, “The fire fighting system of the building was not working properly. Also, double parking (by residents) on the road delayed fire brigade vehicles from reaching the spot.”

Four people were earlier admitted to the nearby Rajawadi Hospital, where three, including two women, were declared brought dead by the hospital authorities. The deceased were identified as Sunita Joshi, Bhalchandra Joshi, both 72, and Suman Shrinivas Joshi, 83. A search and rescue operation by the Mumbai Fire Brigade is underway, said the official from the Disaster Management Unit of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).

Advertisements

Fire razes 30 shops in Sector 53 furniture market (12.12.2018)

CHANDIGARH: A major fire broke out in the Sector 53 furniture market on Tuesday night, destroying around 30 shops. The fire and emergency wing of the municipal corporation received the call at 10.05 pm. Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot. One fire tender from Mohali fire services was also pressed into service.

A short-circuit was suspected to be the reason. Police blocked the entry on the road dividing Sectors 53 and 54, putting up barricades on the Sector 42 roundabout to Mohali. The presence of highly inflammable material like varnish, thinner and foam, stored inside shops made the job of firefighters difficult.Violations galore in Sec 53 furniture market There are a number of fire safety violations in the market.

67052971

There was no passage for movement of fire tenders behind the shops. Besides, a majority of shopkeepers has not kept fire extinguishers. Meanwhile, officials of the fire and emergency services said there is a legal problem in issuing notice to traders for fire safety violations as the market is illegal. Till the filing of the report, firefighters were trying to control the blaze. It was ninth fire incident in the market in last 12 years.