The cables to trust…

Archive for June, 2018

Mumbai: Fire breaks out in BeauMonde tower in Worli, more than 90 people evacuated (14.06.18)

The 33-storey high-rise building is home to several famous personalities, including Bollywood star Deepika Padukone.

A portion of a multi-storey building, housing the residence and office of bollywood actress Deepika Padukone, was gutted in a fire on Wednesday.

Deepika was not inside the 33-storey Beaumonde building in Prabhadevi area where the blaze emanated from the top floor, according to fire department officials and sources close to the actress.

Deepika has residence in one floor of the building and office in another but both were unaffected by the fire, said the sources close to her.

Over 90 people, including Deepika’s staff members, were safely evacuated from the building, the officials said.

Two firefighters suffered minor injuries while dousing the blaze, the officials said.

The fire was reported at 2.08 pm and it later spread to the 32nd floor, the fire department officials said, adding it was doused after nearly five hours.

“The fire was confined to two uppermost duplex floors. mumbai-fire-1528891630Our team encountered intense heat, smoke and wind at upper level. But beating all the odds, we contained the fire, said Mumbai fire brigade chief P S Rahangdale.

The floors that caught fire belonged to one Harish Abhiyani, said a fire department statement, adding fire resistance system was in place there.

Senior Police Inspector of Dadar Police Station said a case will be registered and an investigation held to find out if there was any kind of negligence, he added.

The firefighters had to climb the stairs all the way up to the 32nd and 33rd floors as the snorkels possessed by the Mumbai Fire Brigade cannot reach that height, a senior fire brigade official said, requesting anonymity.

The ladders with the Fire Brigade can reach only up to a height of 90 meters while the height of this building is 110 meters, the official said. “In such cases, we use in-built fire fighting system of the building,” he said.

Locals and representatives aired their resentment over the clearances given by the civic authorities to construction of such high rise buildings when the fire brigade is not equipped to reach up to the higher floors. “I cannot understand why and how civic body and fire brigade give permission to erect high rise towers when they do not have ladders or snorkels to reach up to the top floors. First, they should equip themselves and then only give permission to high rise,” said local Shiv Sena MLA Sada Sarvankar.

Advertisements

15 cases of fire reported in trains in last five months in India (08.06.2018)

A Railway Board letter stated there were 15 cases of fire accidents/incidents reported over zonal railways involving locomotives, coaching stock and freight stock.

passenger-railway-official-examines-station-damaged-railway_f06d49e0-6af0-11e8-af35-5e950c6035ab

Fifteen cases of fire-related accidents have been reported in trains in the last five months primarily due to improper maintenance of rolling stock and lack of supervision, a Railway Board letter has said, instructing zonal railways to take corrective measures to minimise such incidents in the future.

The letter addressed to all General Managers of zones states that such incidents have shown ‘laxity in maintenance of rolling stock’ and preventive action must be taken in this regard.

“In the last five months, there are 15 cases of fire accidents/incidents reported over zonal railways involving locomotives, coaching stock and freight stock due to various reasons like miscreant activities, improper maintenance of rolling stock, loading of prohibited items…

“Above incidents indicates laxity in maintenance of rolling stock and lack of supervision, slack supervision of commodities being loaded, insufficient security…”, the letter dated May 31 said.

In the letter the board has pointed out zone-wise how lack of proper maintenance as well as monitoring of goods being loaded in trains had led to such accidents.

In Agra Division a coach caught fire due to electrical short circuit and in another instance, in NR zone in Delhi Division, another fire broke out because charged electronic goods or mobile batteries were stored in the luggage portion of the coach.

Similarly, the board letter has listed incidents in both Central Railway and North Central Railway where it said that fire broke out due to improper maintenance.

4-year-old boy suffocates to death in house fire in India (06.06.2018)

A four-year-old boy suffocated to death while three other family members were injured early on Wednesday after a fire broke out in a house here, a fire officer said.

A call was received at the Delhi Fire Service (DFS) control room regarding a fire in a DDA flat in south Delhi’s R.K Puram at 1 am, he said, adding that three tenders were rushed to the spot and the flames were doused by around 2 am

“Abhinav, 4, died due to suffocation while his grandmother Darshana, 74, his father Pankaj, 37, and mother Swati, 34, were injured during the rescue operation at second floor. “The injured persons are being treated in a private hospital,” Station House Officer (SHO) Harish Chander told IANS.

“Prima facie, it appears that the fire broke out due to short circuit in wires when the entire family was asleep.” Pankaj works as a stenographer in Udyog Bhavan.

Fire in Barasat mall sparks panic Dt.(11.06.2018)

Barasat: Fire broke out in a Barasat mall on Sunday morning when the latest film in the Jurassic Park franchise was being screened at a multiplex.

The fire started in a fast-food counter on the first floor of City Mall near Dakbungalow More, possibly caused by an electrical short circuit, a little after 10am, fire brigade officials said.Three fire tenders doused the flames in around an hour. There were no casualties.

11metIMG-20180610-WA0108

The morning show of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom was interrupted by an announcement on the public address system, alerting the audience about the fire and asking them to leave the building. Those watching the movie rushed out of the theatre.

“The show began around 9.45am. Less than an hour into the movie, there was an announcement and everyone panicked inside the hall. People were running towards the exit doors for safety. We were scared of being trapped inside but managed to escape,” Bhattacharya said.

Thick black smoke had made its way upstairs from the first floor, where the fire started.

The mall employees tried to douse the flames with fire extinguishers but in vain. “The mall is equipped with hand-held extinguishers and water hoses on all the floors,” a fire brigade official said.

Traffic movement on National Highway-112, which connects Calcutta with north Bengal, was affected for an hour because of the fire.

City Mall is located next to the arterial thoroughfare. As people left the mall in panic, the crowd spilled onto the road, blocking traffic.

Major fire in Mumbai building, two firemen injured

The fire broke out in the six-storeyed Kothari mansion in Fort area of Mumbai at 4.16 am on Saturday morning. It took firefighters 2 hours to completely douse the flames.

Two firemen were injured as a fire gutted a residential building on Mint Road in the Fort area of Mumbai on Saturday morning. No other injuries were reported, as the dilapidated building had been abandoned.

The fire broke out in the six-storeyed Kothari mansion in Fort at 4.16 am on Saturday morning. The fire brigade deployed 16 fire tenders and 11 water tankers to the spot. It took them about 2 hours to completely douse the fire._f8e6ae64-6ba8-11e8-9702-cefeb1293a1b

The firemen were injured when a part of the building collapsed.

The official said the injured firemen – Suhas Mane and Sudhir Deolekar – were undergoing treatment at the trauma care ward of the civic-run Nair Hospital, where their condition was stated to be stable.

The mansion is a cess building, under the Maharashtra Housing and Development authority (MHADA), that had been condemned in the past.

Assistant Commissioner of the A ward, Kiran Dighavkar, said, “The building was declared extremely dilapidated in the C 1 category by Mhada and was hence completely vacated. There was no one present inside the building at the time of the fire. It is not yet known how the fire started.”