The cables to trust…

SURAT: As many as 30 people, mostly patients and employees of an eye hospital and staff of an electronics showroom, were rescued after surging smoke engulfed a three-storey commercial building due to a major fire in its basement parking at Tadwadi in Adajan here on Saturday morning. Over 25 two-wheelers parked in the basement of the building were gutted in the fire at the complex, which houses Eye- Q Desai Superspeciality Eye Hospital and Vijay Salesshowroom on the ground floor.

images

Fire department sources said five fire tenders were rushed to the spot. Around 25 people from the hospital and a few from the electronics showroom were rescued. Three patients who had fallen unconscious after inhaling toxic smoke were rushed to private hospitals.

Chief fire officer (CFO) S K Acharya told TOI, “Actually, the source of fire ignition was in the basement of the building. The fire broke out due to a short circuit in the electricity meter box in the basement. More than 25 vehicles were gutted. Fumes and smoke engulfed the entire building, giving an impression of a major fire.”

Acharya added, “Our fire teams were divided into two groups for rescue and controlling the fire in the basement. More than 30 people were rescued from the hospital premises, mostly patients and hospital staff. We had also called five 108 ambulances and the rescued patients and those who had fallen unconscious were shifted to private hospitals.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: