A blaze gutted a Kanjurmarg studio late on Saturday.
Shooting of five television serials was going on at the ground-plus-one Cinevista Studio when the fire broke out around 8pm.
No one suffered burns in the incident. The fire department said it received a call at 8.07pm and fire engines reached the spot at 8.25pm. Eight engines were pressed into action soon after. The blaze was brought under control by 10.45pm, claimed fire brigade officials.
A person working at the studio said that there had been allegations of the place violating fire safety norms. The studio is located on LBS Marg and has a mix of permanent as well temporary sets.
Prima facie, the fire broke out due to a short-circuit in a generator, said a fire official. It engulfed 3,000 sqft area of the studio, he added. At least 180 people, including leading TV actors Harshad Chopra and Jennifer Winget, were working on various sets when the fire broke out. Luckily, it was a shoot break for all and not many were inside the studio. Whoever was inside managed to escape soon after noticing the fire which broke out on the ground floor, said the Parksite police. Chopra said that all were safe and declined to comment further.
“The fire was confined to the ground-plus-one studio’s electric wiring and studio instruments. It started on the sets of television serial Bepanaah,” said chief fire officer (Mumbai Fire Brigade) Prabhat Rahangdale.
A junior artist working on the sets of Anjali, a Marathi televison serial, told TOI that he noticed people running while he was on his way to the washroom. “People were rushing out from sets of Bepanaah, Haasil, Behad, Ek Deewana Tha and Anjali. The fire spread fast as the sets were made of wood,” he added.
A case of accident will be registered and a probe will be carried out, said senior inspector Vilas Jadhav.
Source – DNA