A birthday bash at a pub in a central Mumbai building ended in a tragedy with the death of 14 people, including 11 women, in a blaze that broke out shortly after midnight. Most of the victims died of suffocation.
Fire officials said they received the first call at 12.27 a.m. and they rushed eight fire engines and fire tankers to the spot. The blaze was initially declared as a Level II fire but upgraded to Level III at 12.42 p.m. as the fire spread.
According to the fire control room, the fire was reported to have broken out at a restaurant called ‘1 Above’ located in Kamla Trade House.
Eyewitnesses, including several journalists working in media organizations situated in the same compound, said the fire spread fast and affected two adjoining diner-cum-pubs.
The probe by Mumbai Police into the Kamala Mills fire tragedy has revealed that the fire might have caused due to a short circuit and the inflammable tarpaulin sheets used as sheds was responsible for spreading the blaze.
“The restro-bar had used tarpaulin sheets which are inflammable in nature. Minutes after the short circuit due to the tarpaulin sheets the entire outlet was engulfed in fire,” said an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Source – TOI