The cables to trust…

Archive for April, 2017

2 dead in fire in Kharghar car showroom

Two employees of a Maruti Suzuki showroom were charred to death after a major fire broke out in the outlet at Kharghar in Navi Mumbai early on Sunday. It took firemen around five hours to douse the flames. The bodies of the two employees were recovered from the premises in Aditya Planet building.

23kharghar-fire1

Officials from the Kharghar fire station said they received a call at 5.15 am Sunday and more than five fire engines and water tankers were sent to the spot.

The victims are Jitendra Kumar (22) from Madhya Pradesh Krushna Kumar (26) from Uttar Pradesh. “They were probably sleeping inside the premises and one of them may have been the security guard. They were dead by the time we found them,” said a fire official.

Initial reports say that the fire may have been caused due to short circuit.

The official added that 8-10 cars inside the showroom were burnt and had possibly worsened the blaze. “Around five cars parked outside also caught fire. The furniture inside the showroom was also charred,” said the official.

23kharghar-fire2

Source- One India

Advertisements

6 killed in factory fire, probe ordered

Six persons were killed in a fire which broke out in a factory in Sector 11 in Noida following which a magisterial probe has been ordered. The incident took place on Wednesday April 19, afternoon when 15 employees were inside the factory of Excel Greentech. Firemen took four hours to douse the fire.

nodia-factory-fire-20-1492673435

Later, six charred bodies were recovered from the spot. District Magistrate N P Singh and Noida authority have both ordered separate probes into the incident.

“ADM Kumar Vineet will conduct a magisterial inquiry into the incident,” District Magistrate NP Singh said.

Chief Executive Officer, Noida, Amit Mohan Prasad said, “I have ordered a probe into the incident.” Chief Fire Officer Akshay Sharma said the unit had a biometric lock at the main door which prevented the trapped workers from moving out. It is believed that the door also got automatically locked at the time of the fire, he said. Three deceased have been identified so far — marketing manager Indrabhan Choudhary, accountant Vivek Kochhar and HR manager Jasmeet Kaur.

Police said a DNA test would be conducted on all the bodies. The company had shifted from Ghaziabad to this new building six months ago. The survivors said the sprinklers installed at factory did not function. The fire is believed to have been caused by a short circuit.

Source- One India

2 guests choke to death in Kolkata hotel fire

At least 2 people were killed and many injured early on last Thursday when a fire broke out at a hotel in south Kolkata, triggering memories of the December 2011 AMRI Hospital blaze that killed more than 90.

kolkata-fire_650x400_71490990727

A deadly cocktail of toxic gases lurked up the shaft of the hotel in the dead of night and smothered two to death.

The toll could have been much higher but for the prompt response of firemen who rescued 30 guests. Five boarders and a hotel employee sustained injuries.

The hotel’s co-owner and an executive were later arrested and slapped with nonbailable charges. Chamar Kishan (52) and Anup Aggarwal (53), who choked to death in their fourth-floor rooms, were employees of Tata Steel and were in the city to attend a meeting.

They, and several other colleagues, had put up at Hotel Golden Parkk on Ho Chi Minh Sarani, a heavily fortified street where both the British deputy high commission and American consulate are located; the hotel is just behind Tata Centre, the company head office.

The nature and circumstances of the deaths -asphyxiation and carbon-monoxide poisoning from fumes spreading through AC ducts -raked up memories of the AMRI Hospital fire in December 2011, in which 92 people, most of them patients, died after a fire broke out in the basement.

On Thursday, it was a short circuit in the ground floor of Hotel Golden Parkk that generated thick black smoke. The killer fumes then drifted up the AC ducts and entered the rooms of guests occupying the floors above. A malfunctioning smoke detector and alarm resulted in the occupants not having time to flee till the smoke had built up. One of the victims, jumped off the fourth floor on to the asbestos roof of a room below and plunged right through, sustaining serious injuries; three others slid down a sewer pipe. Others were rescued by fire brigade personnel. A hotel staffer said the short circuit happened outside the kitchen on the ground floor. Fire experts said the absence of dampers in the AC ducts allowed the smoke to spread just as it had in the hospital fire six years ago.

Source – TOI