Six migrant labourers were asphyxiated to death when while sleeping in a locked bakery where a fire broke out in the early hours on Friday, an official said here.
The fire, believed to be caused by a short-circuit, was noticed around 5.45 a.m. inside the Bakes and Cakes Bakery in Kondva suburb of the city, said a Pune police control official.
The six workers, said to be north-Indian migrants, were caught unawares as the blaze quickly engulfed the mezzanine floor on which they slept inside the bakery.
Rescue officials said the owner had locked the bakery shutter from outside, trapping the workers inside and seriously hampering the relief operation.
Source – OneIndia
A massive fire broke out at a factory manufacturing foam for mattresses at Duttapura village of Waghodia taluka, Vadodara on Wednesday morning.
The fire department officials said that the short circuit resulted in the blaze that later spread in the entire factory. Gas Authority of India (GAIL) also rushed its fire engine to the spot. The regional emergency response centre (ERC) sent a fire engine to douse the fire.
It took about an hour to douse the fire but the salvaging was on till afternoon.
There were no injuries or casualties in the fire. Eye witnesses said that there were four workers in the factory when the incident happened and they ran out immediately.
“Prima facie it looks like that short circuit sparked the fire but we are trying to find the exact reason. Since there was a stock of mattress foam, the fire spread very fast but we could bring it under control quickly,” said a fire official.
The smoke billowing could be seen for several kilometers away from the factory.
Source – TOI