The cables to trust…

Archive for October, 2016

Fire in Children’s Ward of Delhi’s Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, No Casualties

A fire broke out in the children’s ward of Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital on Saturday, 22nd October. All the patients and staff there were evacuated safely.

“The fire was triggered by overheating of the ventilator following which the electrical wire also caught fire. Our doctors and nurses saw it and immediately raised an alarm.

“All the 34 children in the ward were evacuated and taken to another ward, no one was injured in the incident” a senior official of the hospital said.

Six fire tenders were rushed to the spot after the fire was reported in the ward located on the first floor of the multistoried hospital, at 3:55 am, a senior official of the Delhi Fire Service said.

A major fire had broken out at a private hospital in Bhubaneswar on Monday night which left at least 22 people dead.

“The fire call from GTB Hospital was received at 3.55 am. Six fire tenders were rushed to the spot including one Bronto skylift fire tender,” the official said.

“The fire started from room number 1104 from a ventilator there and was doused by 4.20 am,” the official said.

A top official of the Delhi Fire Service said the GTB Hospital has “the fire safety clearance”.

The senior official of the city government-run hospital said, “Fire Service has certified us to reuse the facility after inspecting it.”

In the wake of the fire tragedy at SUM Hospital in Odisha, the Delhi government has ordered a fire safety audit at all its hospitals and sought a report on it to ensure no such mishap occurs in the national capital.

There are 36 hospitals run under the Delhi government, with Lok Nayak Jaiprakash (LNJP) Hospital being the biggest.

The seven-storeyed GTB Hospital, with a capacity of 1,500 beds is one of the busiest in the city. Hospital authorities said “nearly 40 per cent of the patients come from Uttar Pradesh”.

Source – The Statesman

Advertisements

2 Dead In Fire at Maker Tower in Mumbai’s Cuffe Parade

cvbjqiuusaierjs

Two men died on Tuesday in a major fire at the Maker Tower in Mumbai, an upscale residential complex in Cuffe Parade in the city’s south.

The fire broke out a little after 6.30 am on the 20th floor of the building, at an apartment owned by Shekhar Bajaj, the Chairman and Managing Director of Bajaj Electricals.

Two helps sleeping in servant quarters near a flight of stairs died before firemen could arrive. Members of the Bajaj family were among 11 rescued, say fire officers. The fire also spread to the 21st floor.

“We do not know whether it was a short circuit…it could be, we will know after an investigation,” Shekhar Bajaj said.

The sea-facing building has some of Mumbai’s most plush apartments. There are two flats on each floor of the 25-storey building.

A resident said two flats were completely destroyed. “I rescued two helps and a child…They are in a state of shock,” he told reporters.

“This was a wake-up call, it could have been much worse,” said author Shobhaa De, who stays on the fifth floor of the Tower. She said the situation was very well handled by the fire department and the police.

It took two hours to control the blaze.

Source – NDTV

22 dead in Bhubaneswar hospital fire, short circuit suspected

bhubaneswar_650x400_61476722099-580x378

Twenty-two people were killed and 120 injured in a major fire at SUM Hospital in Bhubaneswar on Monday evening.

While 14 patients were declared “brought dead” at Capital Hospital, eight were “brought dead” to AMRI Hospital from the fire-struck private medical facility, officials said.

“Most of the victims were in the first floor ICU of SUM Hospital,” a doctor at the Capital Hospital said.

The condition of most patients shifted to different hospitals across Bhubaneswar and Cuttack was stated to be steady, even as one person died at AIIMS, Bhubaneswar, on Tuesday morning.

According to sources, the tragedy occurred due to suffocation as the smoke spread in most of the wards soon after the fire. Most of the victims, who were on oxygen support, died.

The fire was first spotted in the dialysis unit in the first floor of the hospital. Subsequently, hospital staff tried to douse the fire with two fire extinguishers for nearly 20 minutes. When the situation went out of control, fire service personnel were called in. During the process, they lost the critical time for fire-fighting.

The smoke started spreading to different parts of the hospital through ducts of air conditioning and false ceiling.

sumhospital_fire2a

Attendants of patients blamed the hospital authorities for lack of communication in the evacuation process.

“Till last minute, we were assured that fire would be brought under control and there was no need to shift out of the ward. But when smokes became suffocating, hospital staff fled the spot. We were left to evacuate our near and dear ones on our own,” said Bibhuti Bhushan Sahoo, who agonizingly moved his brother suffering from cancer down from fourth floor to a vacant place in front of the hospital. His brother Dipak Ranjan Sahoo was shifted to AIIMS, Bhubaneswar, after 30 minutes of wait for ambulance.

State Health Secretary Aarti Ahuja, who took stock of the situation, said dialysis, medicine and emergency wards had been sealed and a probe would immediately begin.

Binay Behera, Director General of Police (Fire Service) said a review meeting would be taken to ascertain if the hospital authorities had put fire safety measures in place.

“Orissa High Court has recently given an order to open fire safety units in every government hospitals and staff would have to undergo training to meet any eventuality. We will ascertain if the hospital authorities had trained the staff on fire- fighting skills, which is very important for saving critical time before fire brigade personnel arrive,” he said.

Health and Family Welfare Minister Atanu Sabyasachi Nayak said, “We have kept doctors on alert in both government and private hospitals in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack. We have appealed to every hospital to receive serious patients coming from SUM Hospital,” said

Mr. Nayak said the State government had already ordered a probe into the circumstances under which the fire broke out.

As per initial reports, short-circuit was believed to have caused the fire.

Some people were found to have sustained burn injuries.

“In an attempt to prevent suffocation from causing further damage, glass windows were immediately shattered by our volunteers and medical staff to make way for fresh air. Besides, critical patients were promptly evacuated,” Paresh Das, director of public relations of SOA University, told The Hindu.

Eyewitnesses said attendants were seen jumping from the first floor by breaking glass windows. Dozens of ambulances were mobilized to shift patients to hospitals across Bhubaneswar. Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force has been deployed at different places to facilitate the smooth transfer of patients to different hospitals.

Union Health Minister J.P. Nadda on Monday said the Centre was providing all necessary support to Odisha .

Dr. Nadda said he had spoken to the AIIMS in Bhubaneswar and asked it to provide all necessary help to the patients.

“Deeply saddened by the fire incident in Inst. of Medi Sciences & SUM Hospital Bhubaneswar. My condolences rest with the bereaved families.

“I have spoken to Director, AIIMS Bhubaneswar, to provide all necessary support and help the patients in the best way possible,” Dr. Nadda tweetedt.

He said that Union Health secretary C.K. Mishra had spoken to Odisha Health department officials and was in “constant touch” with them.

“Union Health Secretary has spoken to the Principal Secy Health, Orissa. Officials of @MoHFW_INDIA are in constant touch with state officials,” he said in his tweet.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also voiced “deep anguish” at the loss of lives in the blaze, calling it “mind-numbing“.

“Deeply anguished by the loss of lives in the hospital fire in Odisha. The tragedy is mind-numbing. My thoughts are with bereaved families,” he tweeted.

sumhospital_fire4

Source – The Hindu