More than 50 textile workers had a narrow escape when a major fire broke out at a polyester yarn manufacturing unit at Mandvi’s Hariyal village in Surat district on Wednesday morning. No casualty has been reported.
Fire broke out in the one-storey texturizing company Sanika Yarns, which housed around four polyester manufacturing units. The fire broke out due to short circuit in the room where the plastic raw material was stored for manufacturing of yarn. Raw material worth crores of rupees is estimated to have been gutted in the fire.
The fire engulfed another three yarn units in the same premises within few minutes. The production of polyester yarn was going when the fire broke out.
At least 15 fire tenders from Surat, Mandvi, Bardoli, Palsana and Ankleshwar were rushed to the spot on Wednesday morning to bring the fire under control.
The fire and emergency department of Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) said that four fire tenders and two water tankers have been dispatched to Mandvi for fire fighting exercise. The fire destroyed the entire yarn manufacturing unit.
In-charge chief fire officer of SMC, SK Acharya said, “The fire erupted due to short circuit in the room where the plastic raw material was stored on the ground floor. Since it was early in the morning, the fire immediately spread to the entire premises taking all the four units under its grip.”
Acharya added, “Only 50% of the fire has been brought under control, while efforts are going on to control the rest. Since it is plastic raw material, it burns on high temperature. There is a shortage of water as the fire tankers have to travel two kilometers to fetch water for cooling.”
Sources said that the yarn manufacturing company has not taken enough fire safety measures like non-stop continuous water supply.
Source – TOI