The cables to trust…

Archive for January, 2016

Loss worth crores in fire at Halol building

A massive fire broke out at a commercial complex some 100 metres from the Halol bus depot in Panchmahal district on Thursday early morning.

Thirteen kids and medical staff at a pediatric hospital were evacuated following the incident at Shyam Sharad Complex.  No casualty was reported.

An electronic appliances showroom, three banks, a guest house and a pediatric hospital suffered damages amounting to crores of rupees in the fire.

The fire broke out at around 3.30 am.  It was caused by a short circuit in one of the air conditioners at a private bank.

Locals said that the fire spread due to the scrap lying near the air conditioner.

Fire tenders from Halol, Kalol, Godhra, Vadodara and General Motors were called in to control the situation.  The fire was doused in about two hours.  “Fire wagons from different zones joined hands to douse the fire.  The burning of electric appliances of the showroom led to thick smoke in the vicinity making it difficult to breathe.  The people were evacuated from the building as there was a threat of structure collapse,” said city fire fighter Nathu Dangi.

He added that the Shyam Electronics had appliances like LED, refrigerator, microwave oven, air conditioners and several other goods.

According to locals, the store was the biggest electric appliances store in the city.  The complex housed offices of Kotak Mahindra Bank, Bank of India and Indian Overseas Bank.  While the banks, hospital and guest house suffered minor losses, the electronics store suffered maximum damage.

Sources said that the patients of the Shyam Varna Hospital were evacuated form the back door using a ladder by the fire brigade officials as the main staircase was clogged with fumes.

Source: TOI News Network

Advertisements

Fire breaks out at beach festival in Diu

The New Year revelry at the ongoing beach festival in Diu was disturbed as a major fire broke out in the Festival Village on Nagva beach and damaged 16 luxurious tents on Friday. However, nobody was injured in the incident, officers said.

The fire broke out at around 10:55 AM from one of the tents in the Festival Village, Diu Fire and Emergency Service said. However it spread to other parts of the tent village and before firefighters could control it, the blaze gutted 16 tents. One more tent was pulled down to isolate the fire and prevent it from spreading further.

“We do not know as of now as to where did the fire start. However, 16 luxurious tents have been burnt down. But tourists in the tents either rushed out or rescued on time and therefore nobody has been injured,” Dinesh Vadhwana, chief fire officer of Diu told The Indian Express.

Three water bowsers of Diu fire and emergency service, one water bowser from Diu airport and two water tankers of public works department were pressed into service to control the fire. “We managed to put out the fire at around 1:30 PM but could not save the 16 tents,” Vadhwana further said.

There were 60 tents in the Festival Village but the rest were saved. Police said they suspected electric short-circuit as the cause of the fire. “The fire started from inside a tent and therefore we do not know exactly what sparked it off. However, we suspect electric short-circuit in some airconditionining unit or some other electrical appliances could have started it. We shall analyse CCTV footage to get some clue,” Sameer Sharma, superintendent of Diu police said.

Beach festival or Festa De Diu is a major tourist attraction in the Union Territory located off Saurashtra coast in Gujarat. President Pranab Mukherji had inaugurated the three-month long festival on December 1. Despite the fire, officers in the tourism department of Diu administration said that the festival will go on. “Only 16 tents have been burnt and there is no case of human injury or casualty. We are assessing the damage caused by the fire. But the festival will go on,” said Laxman Bamania, information assistant with the tourism department.

This is second incident of major fire in Diu in three weeks. A fire on Vanakbara harbour of Diu on December 13 had gutted 30 huts of fishermen, five fishing trawlers and scores of vehicles.

Manish Aggarwal, inspector general of police of Daman and Diu said normalcy had returned to the Festival Village after the fire was put out. “We have made alternative arrangements to accommodate those tourists whose tents burnt down in the fire. In fact a large group of them was to check out. Normalcy has returned to the village and the festival will go on. The contractors have ordered material to set up new tents at the place of those which burnt down in the fire.”

Source: The Indian Express