The cables to trust…

Archive for May, 2014

Massive fire at Surat textile market, loss pegged at Rs 400 cr

In a massive fire outbreak at a 17 storeyed building in Surat that acts as a textile market, goods of Rs 300-400 crore are estimated to have been damaged, which houses 300 offices of textile traders and makers.  The fire, believed to be caused by short circuit, broke out at 9 am on Thursday at ‘Orchid’ textile market on the Parbat Patiya Road of Surat.

A relatively new building, the ‘Orchid’ houses around 300 textile traders and manufacturers’ offices, prominent of which was Vipul Fashions that manufactures and trades sarees and dress materials.
According to Manoj Kumar Das, municipal commissioner of Surat, while no injuries or casualties were reported, 90 per cent of the fire had been brought under control by 1 pm.  Around 30 fire and emergency services personnel along with 35 vehicles and 3 hydraulic fire extinguishers were in action.  Sources said that fire fighting equipment from nearby industrial establishments such as Essar’s Hazira plant had also been sought for by fire and emergency services officials.

“The building mostly acts as a godown for textile traders. Each of the unit could be storing textile goods worth Rs 30-40 lakh. There are around such 300 units in that building. Hence, the damage is estimated to be anywhere between Rs 300 crore and Rs 400 crore,” said a textile trader member of the Federation of Surat Textile Traders’ Association (FOSTTA).

The fire outbreak at Orchid building occurred exactly a day after a meeting held by FOSTTA along with Surat Municipal Corporation (SMC) wherein the building was given a 15 days period to install fire and safety measures.  The meeting was held with a view to decide future course of action for imparting fire and emergency services training to security personnel at all the textile markets in Surat.

According to fire and emergency services officials at SMC, this is the third such fire outbreak in the town in the last 15 days.  “Usually, such incidents increase during summer season due to extreme heat,” the official added.

However, industry sources said that there are 156 such textile markets with each housing around 200 units.  “With so many textile markets, it is very unlikely for a standalone fire incident to impact the industry’s day-to-day functioning,” the FOSTTA member added.

Blaze in South Korean hospital for elderly kills 21

The tragedy comes as the nation continues to mourn the victims of last month’s ferry disaster which claimed over 300 lives. A fire earlier this week at a bus terminal near Seoul killed 140527-south-korea-fire-01_9d3d51c5996beddafc2d8f994b54d88feight people and injured 57. And here is yet another- A fire at a hospital annex housing elderly patients in the southwestern county of Jangseong killed 21 people. The fire comes as South Korea debates long-ignored safety lapses and a history of corner-cutting in a country that rapidly rose from poverty and the destruction of the 1950-53 Korean War to become Asia’s fourth biggest economy.

Twenty patients and a nurse died at the hospital, which specializes in elderly patients who suffer from dementia and palsy, and seven others were injured, officials with the Jangseong Fire Department said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of office rules.

Most of the patients who perished in the fire were in their seventies and eighties, Yonhap news agency reported. Jangseong county is south of Seoul.

The blaze was extinguished relatively quickly, but the physical condition of the elderly residents of the hospital led to the large number of casualties, fire officials said, according to Reuters.

About 30 bedridden patients were trapped by “choking fumes” on the second floor of a hospital annex building, Yonhap reported. Ten patients on the first floor did manage to escape.

The only nurse on duty at the time was among the dead.

The victims died after suffocating on poisonous gas, officials said.

There were 35 patients and a nurse on duty on the second floor of an annex of Hyosarang Hospital when the fire broke out, officials said. The fire was put out after about six minutes, the officials said. The cause was not immediately known.

Officials said that 45 people, including a nurse, were on the hospital’s first floor but they all escaped. 0,,17666760_303,00

Some of the dead had their hands bound to their beds, and the second-floor windows were barred, Yonhap news agency reported, without citing any sources for the information. Emergency officials couldn’t immediately confirm the report. Two hospital officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk to the media, said that patients are not bound to beds. But they said they were checking into the details of what happened.

Authorities said most patients at the hospital were in their 70s and 80s, in a fragile state and had difficulty walking.

The semi-official state news agency Yonhap, citing police and fire officials, said toxic fumes that filled the building were believed to have caused the victims to asphyxiate.

South Korea has also had two subway accidents in recent weeks.

The fire started just after midnight, authorities said. Seven people were evacuated from the second floor of the building, which was separate from the main hospital.

It was South Korea’s second deadly blaze in two days. Seven people were killed and 41 injured in a fire at a bus terminal near Seoul on Monday.


Fire breaks out at lawyer’s chamber in SC thumb

A fire broke out in lawyer’s chamber block in Supreme Court on Sunday. Six fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the blaze was doused within an hour. Preliminary investigations suggest that the fire was caused due to short circuit.

The incident was reported around 12.30pm, when P H Parekh, who has chamber number 134, noticed smoke coming out of his office. “I was attending a tea party at the court when I saw the smoke and rushed to the office,” said Parekh, president of bar council at SC. He said the automatic sprinklers fitted inside the office failed to work though the alarm bell fitted to it had started ringing.

Senior fire officials said there were many papers inside the office which helped the fire to spread quickly. The building also had a large number of wooden furniture which was burnt in the blaze.


Major fire in Ambernath factory, top official killed AMbernath1

A major fire broke out at Hanaka Organics Pvt Ltd building in the Morivali MIDC area situated in Ambernath city. One of the directors of the company was killed in the fire while four others, including a fire brigade official were injured in the incident.

S Narayan is one among three directors of the company which was established in 1984. The fire officials said that the incident happened during lunch time when out of 9 people, 6 labourers were inside the canteen situated near the main gate. The men managed to escape after noticing the fire. The officials found that Narayan was inside company building and could not manage to escape.

The fire officials from Ambernath MIDC said they received a fire call at around 1.35pm from company after which they rushed to the spot and also alerted to nearby fire brigade offices. The fire was brought under control after three hours at about 4.30 pm.

The flames engulfed all the three units of the factory. The Ambernath police is probing the matter and said the cause of the fire is yet to ascertained.


Fire at highrise building in Mumbai’s Walkeshwar, no casualties  234021-sobo1

A fire broke out on the eighth floor of a highrise in Walkeshwar.

The eighth floor of the 14-storey Purab Apartments, a residential building near the Malabar Hill police station, was gutted in the fire that broke out around 10.58pm.

The fire department officials claimed that there were no casualties at the time of going to press.

Around 15 fire tenders were pressed to extinguish the flames. An official from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s disaster control centre confirmed that the flames were brought under control within an hour, without anyone sustaining any injuries.

“We pressed all fire tenders within minutes of getting the distress call as it is a highrise,” said a fire brigade official adding that the cause for the fire was yet to be established.

The fire had created a panic among the residents, who promptly vacated the building. The power supply was promptly cut off to stop the fire from spreading.

Last December, a massive fire that broke out on the 12th floor of the 26-storey Mont Blanc building in Kemps Corner had claimed lives of five of its residents, and injured five firefighters.


Fire at commercial building in Kolkata mumbaifire

A fire broke out on the second floor of a seven-storey commercial building in Ballygunje area of the metropolis.

However,there was no casualty and nor anyone was trapped in the building, fire brigade sources said.

Seven fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The cause of the fire was possibly an electrical fault, sources said.


Fire scare at building in Marredpally

There was a minor scare in West Marredpally after fire broke out in a penthouse of a five-storied building.

The incident occurred around 10 am when residents of Vennela Mansion apartment complex in LIC Colony noticed thick smoke emanating out of the bedroom in the penthouse.

Fire brigade personnel evacuated the building. “The blaze destroyed the books, clothes and bedding in the room. The extent of the damage has not been assessed yet,” said G Venkateshwar, station fire officer in Secunderabad.


Fire claims two lives in Delhi Fire1

A 10-year-old girl and her mother were killed when a fire engulfed a house here on Thursday, the fire service said.

Four others were injured in the accident at Zakir Nagar. It took firefighters around two hours to douse the flames.

The second person who died was identified as the girl’s 40-year-old mother.